Banovina
The building is located in the vicinity of the Fortress, along the right bank of the Nišava river, between the quay, Univerzitetski Square (University square) and Šumatovačka and Dobrička streets. In terms of its position, size and architecture, it is the most representative edifice among all the public buildings in Niš.
The construction of this monumental edifice, built for the needs of the Niš County Administration, began soon after the liberation from the Turks in 1882, according to the designs of an unknown Viennese architect. The work was completed in 1886. The building is a corner building with two wings, and it originally had a ground floor and an upper floor, with a main entrance that was oriented towards the quay. In 1925, a second floor was added, and in 1934, when the building had already become the headquarters of the Moravska Banovina (or administrative province), the wing in Šumatovačka Street was added, according to the designs of the architect Aleksandar Gercenvić. Finally, in 1935, the three-story arched façade was completed according to the designs of Petar Gačić, which gave the building the appearance it has today.
The architecture of the oldest part of the building is in the style of Middle Europe academic classicism, with Neo-renaissance elements. This eclecticism was supplemented, in a very skillful manner, by the extension of the building, which was modernized by rustically finished façade plastics with modernized classicist elements, and a simple and monolithic entrance block with an arcade porch.
This jewel of the architecture of Niš was restored in 1977 and 1986 according to the designs of Milorad Vojinović, and since 1966, it has housed the rector’s office of the University of Niš.