The old Turkish bath – Hammam – is located near the entrance to the Fortress, left of the Stambol (Istanbul) Gate. It was built in the 15th century, and it is the oldest preserved Turkish building in Niš. The Hammam is a part of the legacy of Mehmet Bey (the Turkish title refers to the leaders of smaller communities of people), the first Sandžak-Bey of the Sandžak of Smederevo. In the year 1760, it was known as Đumušoglijin hamam, one of the two hammams in Niš at the time. It was located outside the Fortress ramparts until 1723 when the Fortress, after extensive reconstruction, assumed its present-day form.
The Hammam represents a single Turkish bath, built of stone and brick laid in an alternating patterns, with walls up to one meter thick. It was supplied with water from the Nišava river with the aid of a wooden tread-wheel. The šedrvan (waiting room) was not preserved, but the kapaluk (dressing room), mejdan (a common room, or place where people gathered) and halvat (bathrooms), hazna (water tank) and ćulhana (fire-room) are preserved to this day. On the roof, there is one dome over the kapaluk and one over the mejdan, and two domes over the halvat.
Its reconstruction was finished in 1975, according to the designs of the architect Danica Janić, and it is now used as a restaurant.