KING’S VILLA

It is located at the foot of the Koritnik Hill on a well-chosen location, so the impression is that it emerges from the thick forest. It was built by the Belgrade lawyer Jovan Todorović in 1931, who called it “Jela”, after his wife. The name of the architect is unknown.

In its time, it was considered one of the most luxurious villas in Niška Banja (or spa). King Aleksandar Karađorđević, as a close friend of the owner, often stayed there on the occasions when came to the spa for treatments, so the people attached a new name to the villa – the King’s villa.

 A combination of styles is evident in its architectonic formation. The arcade porch made in three sections evokes the Serbian-Byzantine traditions, the effective railings with rows of balusters are a trait of the Neo-Renaissance, and the flat walls, windows without any finish and the flat roof are details characteristic of the oncoming style of the Moderne.

After WWII, the villa was nationalized and used as a post office, and now it is the office of the City Municipality of Niška Banja.