The building was erected in the last decade of the 19th century. The architect is unknown. It was the headquarters of the city administration, and prior to WWI it housed the Municipality Administration and the Courthouse of the city of Niš.
Built in an eclectic style, it is positioned on a corner, with a corner entrance filled in at a later date, with a façade of a symmetrical composition, with the regular distribution of openings and decorative plastics with a somewhat naïve architectonic expression. The removal of the façade plastics took place in 1959. The restoration work to the building was done in 1988.
After WWII and the liberation of Niš, the town’s local People’s Liberation Committee, the first body of authority in the post-war city, worked in this building. According to the decision of the authorities, the National Library started working in this building in 1959. The building is still being used as a library to date.